I have been into sports for some 5 years now, mainly running as it is something you can do when traveling. I have also tried some gyms in Riga and some in Stockholm. I have found them decent, well, up until I moved to Barcelona and joined Metropolitan gyms: http://www.clubmetropolitan.net . Now I can officially say I do not want to leave this city, and mainly because of this gym. It is amazing!
Will give some reasons:
• it is 10 minutes walk from my home, so no excuses not to go there
• the showers are big and private, you might have heard that the one in our apartment is very claustrophobic
• as it is almost on the top floor of Las Arenas shopping mall, the view is great
• the free towel service, no need to carry your wet towels around anymore
• I have started to think of doing half marathon in few months, running long distances seems to get easy. Not sure if it is my nice running music or watching well trained spanish men lifting weights. Maybe both?
• there is SPA available, yes, with a swimming pool, sauna with a TV or a view to Placa Espanya (whatever you prefer), turkish bath, ice room and relaxing music. A tip – go there on Sundays, the whole area is almost empty.
And now last reason – Body Pump classes. I have tried the exercise before in Riga and really enjoyed it. But here it is more motivating, the trainer Raul is absolutely amazing. When you think you cannot possibly lift the weights one more time, well, he makes you not to give up. Very fun class, highly recommend for you to try body pump if you have not already. I have managed to get Alina in it, too. Just took one time for her to come to the class and she joined the gym.
I was not allowed to post this, unless I quote Alina, so here goes:”I have understood the real benefit of having blond hair. When it falls out, you don’t see it on the white shower floor!”
As I am very much into the views and just to give you an insight, this is what you get when you go just one floor up from the gym to the roof of Las Arenas building.